Postdoc and MSc/PhD position on Rural Urban Migration and the Environment at the University of British Columbia
A collaborative project between economists and environmental scientists on the environmental impact of rural-urban migration is recruiting one postdoctoral scholar and one MSc/PhD student. The project involves scholars from the University of British Columbia (UBC), the University of California Santa Barbara (UCSB), Yale University, Paris School of Economics and Tilburg School of Economics, and is funded by the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada. The positions will be based at UBC with possibilities to collaborate with researchers from partner institutions.
The project seeks to understand the impact of rural-to-urban migration on land use and biodiversity, air pollution, greenhouse gas emissions and human health using econometrics and combining survey, census and environmental data.
Both positions are open for economists or environmental scientists with good data science skills and interest in economic development and the environment. Both candidates are expected to collaborate with environmental scientists and economists in the team. The geographic focus of the position is open and depends on data availability and individual interests. Possible countries include Brazil, India, Indonesia, and countries in Sub-Saharan Africa. The environmental outcomes of interest include air pollution and human health as well as agriculture, land use and biodiversity.
The initial appointment will be for 1 year, but can be renewed upon satisfactory performance of duties. The PhD position is for four years. The MSc position is for two years. The starting date is as soon as possible for the postdoc and September for the PhD/MSc student.
- Degree in either economics, environmental science or related fields.
- Good data science skills including econometrics and/or geospatial analysis.
- Proficient in R or other relevant programming language.
- Ability to work independently, as part of a team and under direction, excellent written and oral communication skills.
For full considerations, please apply by May 31. The positions remain open until filled. Please send the following documents by email to email@example.com:
- Cover letter explaining fit for the position
- Contact information of three references
- Representative paper (postdoc position only)
- Transcripts (PhD/MSc position)