My research focuses on the interaction of economic development and the environment. In particular, I am interested in the impacts of improved market access and property rights on land use and natural resources such as fish stocks, forests and biodiversity. I use mathematical models to guide my empirical analysis and to derive testable predictions. I often collaborate with environmental scientists to better understand and quantify the environmental changes and drivers.
- Noack, F. & Larsen, A.E. (2019) The contrasting effects of farm size on farm incomes and food production. Environmental Research Letters. 14.
- Noack, F., Riekhof, M. C., & Di Falco, S. (2019). Droughts, Biodiversity, and Rural Incomes in the Tropics. Journal of the Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, 6(4), 823-852.
- Noack, F. (accepted). Resource abundance and education. Economic Development & Cultural Change.
- Wunder, S., Noack, F., & Angelsen, A. (2018). Climate, crops, and forests: a pan-tropical analysis of household income generation. Environment and Development Economics, 1-19. Link to the working paper.
- Noack, F., Riekhof, M. C., & Quaas, M. (2018). Development in a Dual Economy: The Importance of Resource-Use Regulation. Journal of the Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, 5(1), 233-263. Link to the working paper.
- Larsen, A. E., & Noack, F. (2017). Identifying the landscape drivers of agricultural insecticide use leveraging evidence from 100,000 fields. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 114 (21), 5473–5478.
- Noack, F. A., Manthey, M., Ruitenbeek, J. H., & Mohadjer, M. M. (2010). Separate or mixed production of timber, livestock and biodiversity in the Caspian Forest. Ecological Economics, 70(1), 67-76.
- The impact of credit markets on natural resources with insecure property rights: Evidence from global fisheries, (with Christopher Costello, new version coming soon).
- Informal Credit Markets, Common-pool Resources and Education (with Marie-Catherine Riekhof).
Work in Progress
- The Direct and Cost of Living in Wildlife Reserves in India (with Sumeet Gulati and Krithi Karanth).
- Crop diversity and labor market imperfections (with Ashley Larsen and Martin Quaas).
- Crop diversity and weather shocks (with Delphine Renard).